Athletics and sailing teams confirmed for Tokyo Olympic Games
The New Zealand Olympic Committee has confirmed an exciting team of 13 track and field athletes for the Tokyo Olympic Games.
The following athletes have had their selection confirmed as their condition of receiving a World Athletics quota has been met:
- Dame Valerie Adams – Women’s Shot put
- Maddison Lee Wesche – Women’s Shot put
- Tom Walsh – Men’s Shot put
- Jacko Gill – Men’s Shot put
- Lauren Bruce – Women’s Hammer Throw
- Julia Ratcliffe – Women’s Hammer Throw
- Zane Robertson – Men’s Marathon
- Malcolm Hicks – Men’s Marathon
- Hamish Kerr – Men’s High Jump
- Camille Buscomb – Women’s 5000m and 10000m
- Quentin Rew – Men’s 50km Race Walk
- Samuel Tanner – Men’s 1500m
- Nick Willis – Men’s 1500m
Unfortunately, discus thrower Connor Bell did not receive a quota spot and will not compete in Tokyo. Javelin athlete Tori Peeters also did not meet the requirements of her conditional selection and will also not compete in Tokyo.
Meanwhile, the reserves for the sailing team have been finalised.
Andy Maloney has been named as the Finn reserve, Logan Dunning Beck and Oscar Gunn for the 49er and George Gautrey in the Laser.