Henry St Aubyn Murray was born on 14 January 1886 in Christchurch NZ. He was educated at Christ's College and London University where he qualified as an Architect. Henry was one of four NZ athletes who represented “AUSTRALASIA” at the 1908 Olympics in London. The team marched into the stadium under the Australian Flag carried by Henry. Henry competed in both the 110 and 400 metre hurdles coming second in both. As the events were “sudden death” he was eliminated in both. Prior to the Olympics, he was a consistent hurdler having won five successive titles in the 440 yards hurdles at the NZ Championships (1906 – 1910). In 1915 he enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force and was commissioned as a Lieutenant in the 11th Field Company, Engineers. On 5 April 1916, he married Ismene Nola Simms in Brisbane. Less than two months later, he embarked for overseas service on 31 May 1916 and served in France. He was awarded the Military Cross for gallantry and distinguished service during action east of Ypres on 4th October 1917. His commission in the AIF was terminated in 1919 and he joined the NZ Military Forces (Territorial Force) as a Lieutenant in the Corps of NZ Engineers. He retired in June 1922. Between the wars, Henry practised as an architect in his own business. He designed part of St Bede's College, Christchurch, the Akaroa War Memorial and a public building in Rangiora as well as many other buildings in Canterbury. In 1942, while assisting with airfield construction in Fiji, he joined the Royal New Zealand Air Force as a Flying Officer in No 6 Works Maintenance Squadron, Suva. He returned to NZ in March 1943 and was based at Onerahi. On the main highway between Onerahi and Whangarei, on 10 April 1943, the Jeep in which he was being driven, left the road and overturned. He died of chest injuries in Whangarei Hospital two days later. He was survived by his wife and his only child, Anthony St Aubyn Murray, who was also serving in the RNZAF.

Tweet Share

Henry's Games History