With just two weeks remaining until the opening ceremony of the Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, New Zealands freeskiing brothers Jossi, Byron and Beau-James Wells will compete at the prestigious invite-only X Games whilst awaiting news regarding their selection for the New Zealand team this Friday.
The X-Games take place in Aspen, USA this week from 23 26 January.
Known as one of the premier action sports winter events in the world, the X Games showcases the talents of elite athletes in the sports of snowboard, freeski and snowmobile. Byron and Beau-James will compete in the Ski Superpipe while Jossi takes on the Ski Slopestyle and Big Air. Jossi currently holds three silver X Games medals and one bronze.
For the Olympic Winter Games hopefuls the X Games will provide an opportunity to fine tune their performances ahead of Sochi. With Jossi and Byron both recovering from injury they will be looking to strike a balance between progressing their tricks without adding to the injury count.
The New Zealand Olympic Team will be announced Friday 24 January and the organisation expects the team to comprise around 14 athletes.
NZOC SOCHI 2014 NOMINATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
- International Federation (IF) confirmation of national quota spots to National Olympic Committees (NZOC) expected 20 January.
- This information is published on the respective IF websites.
- NSO submit nominations against sport specific nomination criteria, developed from the overall NZOC Sochi 2014 Selection Policy.
- NZOC selection panel assess nominations against the NSO nomination criteria and select athletes that meet this criteria.
- The selection announcement will be made Friday 24 January 2014.
Tweet Share Email