Fewer than two days remain until the New Zealand Olympic Committee names the team to compete at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games.
With quota spots confirmed by the International Federations and nominations submitted by the snow, ice speed skating and skeleton national organisations, New Zealand Olympic Committee selectors are now assessing athletes against selection policy criteria.
Selection criteria has been stepped up from previous Olympic Winter Games for Sochi 2014.
New Zealand Olympic Committee CEO Kereyn Smith says that the selectors will be looking to ensure that athletes are capable of credible results at the Olympic Winter Games. The selection process is evidence based and athletes performance data is compared to criteria previously agreed with National Sporting Organisations, she said.
Were looking for athletes that have been finishing in the top half of World Cup and other top fields over the Olympic qualification period.
The Olympic Winter Games happens just once every four years. The very best in the world give come together and perform at the very top of their game. The result is an incredibly high level of performance, and in New Zealands case, in a variety of extremely risky sports. We want our athletes to be prepared for that.
The New Zealand Olympic Committee selection panel comprises New Zealand Olympic Committee board members Simon Wickham (Chair) and Tony Hall as well as independent selector, Mike Kernaghan.
The New Zealand Olympic Team will be announced Friday 24 January and the organisation expects the team to comprise around 14 athletes.
NZOC SOCHI 2014 NOMINATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
- International Federation (IF) confirmation of national quota spots to National Olympic Committees (NZOC) expected 20 January.
- This information is published on the respective IF websites.
- NSO submit nominations against sport specific nomination criteria, developed from the overall NZOC Sochi 2014 Selection Policy.
- NZOC selection panel assess nominations against the NSO nomination criteria and select athletes that meet this criteria.
- The selection announcement will be made Friday 24 January 2014.